Wednesday, September 23, 2020

Trendy in Tokyo Colorful Palette Review

Colorful makeup is so fun and inspiring!  I love being able to play with a lot of different colors, and had been looking at quite a few rainbow palettes for some time.  In the end, I did an impulse purchase for this Trendy in Tokyo palette from bhcosmetics for US$16 when I was replacing skincare items at Ulta.

It took some time to put together this review because my phone gave up ghost and I was unable to take photos of any makeup I tried 

The palette also includes a nice mirror, which I use when doing my makeup.Trendy in Tokyo

Lots of pretty colors inside!!

 

There are 16 colors inside with a mix of mattes and shimmers.  For a quick breakdown:

Blossom: matte pale pink
Anime: shimmer neon pink
Emoji: matte dark pink
Fuji: shimmer purple pink

Trendsetter: matte light orange
Fashion: matte total red
Sushi: matte red-orange
Karaoke: matte solid yellow

Lively: shimmer light blue
Bamboo: matte forest green
Wasabi: shimmer lime green
Tempura: matte pale yellow

Fortune: matte light blue
Electricshimmer dark blue
Sake: shimmer purple
Kyoto: matte dark red-purple

All the shimmers do very well and the colors themselves are decently pigmented.  Not Sugarpill levels of bright color, but buildable and manageable for people who want a colorful look without going to drag queen levels all the time.

The worst-performing color is definitely Kyoto, the dark red-purple matte.  It is very patchy and difficult to blend out smoothly.  Purple is notoriously difficult to formulate, according to people on the internet.
A close second is the two yellows, with tempura being pretty useless as anything other than a translucent blending shade in my opinion.  Karaoke shows up when packed on, but will blend away VERY quickly if I go over it too much.

In this green, purple, and yellow look, I ended up putting a touch of Buttercupcake by Sugarpill on top of Karaoke to help it actually look yellow.

The entire pink and green columns do really well for me, though!  Again, they're decently pigmented and build up well.
Here is a demonstration of using mostly Kyoto with Fuji used to blend it out in the crease.  I'm not sure how well it shows because I put a black pencil base all over the lid for some loose shimmer ^^;
Gastly theme

Here, I again used Buttercupcake for the yellow parts, but everything else is bhcosmetics.

The blues and pinks on this next look I think performed really well!
The last look I just did recently, but unfortunately did not get a good closeup :(
The shimmer on the lid is Anime, which shows up as a much more NEON light pink than the dark pink it appears to be in the pan!

Overall, I'm quite happy :)  The other colors (oranges and red) that I tested while I had no phone or camera performed about average.  I do like the red as it is red, but it does blend out to be a bit lighter.  So not ideal if you want a concentrated red look, but does well for softer effects.
The two oranges are also in a similar performance as the red.  Pack on the color for payoff, but can blend out softly for just a touch of color.

The Tempura shade is the most disappointing, and Karaoke and Kyoto require some finicking or help, but all the other shades are great for me!

What rainbow palettes have you tried before?  Or what are you considering?  
I had also been thinking of the Colourpop She's a Rainbow palette (US$40), the e.l.f. To the Rescue palette (US$20) which unfortunately has rather mixed reviews, Revolution Makeup has some rainbow-type big palettes (~US$10), and the NYX Ultimate Brights palette (US$18). 

6 comments:

  1. I always love your looks! They're so beautiful and creative. Especially when you do Pokemon or Monster Hunter theme. It sucks about the palette though. Was kinda hoping it would be as luscious as the Brazil one. And one day I'm dying to get SOMETHING from Sugarpill xD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!I'm pretty happy with the palette overall other than the two yellows. The dark purple just needs something under it to help it blend, which is not a bit deal to me since there are a couple blue and pink shades that can help with that.Yellow really does seem to be hard to get to be very bright though T^T I think Sugarpill colors worth investing in would be yellow (Buttercupcake) and red (Love +) for sure!The red in this palette works fine for my needs, but if you ever want a really BRILLIANT red, Love+ is pretty much the standard XD
      I also have the green and orange singles (Midori and Flamepoint) which are wonderful, but I don't use them enough to justify spending that kind of money :P For example, Bamboo and Sushi in this palette would be perfectly fine for me!I do also want to get the Sugarpill Tako for a PURE white and possibly Bulletproof for that darkest black ever

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wrote a comment but somehow it doesn't show up, so be not confused if you see two similar comments 😅

    I bought the no-name 88 colors palette that you can find on Ebay and other websites. The quality is quite nice for the price, but purple is also super chunky and hard to use! Besides that I saw the suggestion in a make-up tutorial to mix colors to create a matching one. So with this palette you can really create any color. Sadly I have droopy eyelids so any rainbow on my eyes will not be seen haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment! I did see the other comment but I'm not sure what is wrong with the comments, sorry!!

      I had an 88 colour palette from bh cosmetics back when it and coastal scents were the online makeup brand to try. It was nice for trying out many colours to see what I like!

      Do you have excess skin that folds over your eyelid? I have that a bit and if I want a certain color to show with eyes open, i apply the colour with eyes open and then fill in any gaps with eye closed. I hope that makes sense!!

      Delete
    2. Yes I have such a lid! The suggestion sounds great, I will try it the next time *o*

      Delete

please share your thoughts!