Asian cakes are often steamed because most homes do not own a large oven like Western homes. It is possible to bake cakes in the toaster oven, but steaming is quicker and fluffier!
There are many methods of steaming, and all work equally well. I usually use an electric steamer, but bamboo steamers are also popular. It is also possible to ghetto-rig a steamer by heating a wok of boiling water, putting a rack in the bottom to keep the cake pan out of the water, and steaming your cake suspended over the water. Make sure your wok cover fits over the pan or bowl you are using!
Bananas are naturally sweet, and the riper they are, the sweeter they get, so adjust your sugar levels accordingly!
This recipe can be made and steamed all in one bowl. It is quick, easy, and has minimal clean-up work. Very good for a quick snack and has only about 115 calories per serving! Calories were calculated using My Fitness Pal's Recipe Calculator
2/3 cup All-Purpose Flour (I only have spoon measures, so I did 10 Tbs and 1tsp)
1 ripe Banana
1 tsp Baking Soda
3 Tbsp packed Brown Sugar (adjust according to taste)
2 tsp water
1 tsp oil
1) Assemble Ingredients and Preheat your steamer by boiling the water in your wok or the base of your steamer
The silver pan I mixed in turned out to be too big because I am a poor judge of volume... a big bowl should suffice
2) Put everything in your bowl and mash it all together with a fork!
3) Try to make your batter smooth with few lumps. My batter turned brown because of the brown sugar. Using refined sugar will keep your cake yellow from the banana, but I prefer brown sugar ;)
4) Place into your hot steamer and steam for 15 minutes. Do NOT open the lid before it is done!
5) Allow to cool in the bowl. The water vapor makes it separate from the bowl easily
6)Loosen the edges and turn out into a plate. My cake had some unmixed lumps of brown sugar because I was in a hurry, making this cake at 10PM ^^; They settled to the bottom and now you can see them when the cake is flipped!
7) Cut into 6 pieces and serve!
I hope you enjoy this simple recipe. Feel free to change up the flavors! Try different fruits or flavors! Chocolate cake?