Friday, October 28, 2011

Halloween Treats (Plus My Trick)

Halloween is one of the most fun holidays to me!! So here are some fun and easy food links for you all! I also included a devilish little trick at the end :P But I only suggest you try it on people you know won't mind!

Treats

Melted Witches
(Slight side story: I agree completely with her mini-rant on Halloween costumes in the USA! Halloween shouldn't be a time to see who can wear the least amount of fabric. I am super glad that costumes in Taiwan are still the regular "Disney Princess" or "Fairy" or "Minnie Mouse" type!)


Poisonous Parfaits
These are super easy but look awesome!


Twig Mini Caramel Apples a cute twist on a classic treat!


Brain in a Jar Cupcakes
It looks like that's a lot of frosting for the brain, but there is actually cake inside that too! ;)


Spiderweb Cake in a Jar


Sweet Acorns
Ultra fast and easy! Could be re-used for Thanksgiving and all other Autumn-theme parties too ;)


Pumpkin Pudding Ghosts
Super cute!!! Vegetarians remember to sub agar agar for the gelatin~


Ghost Cake for the slightly more culinary-ly talented! (I am pretty sure it uses the same technique as the heart cake)


Something Savory this way comes!


Coffin Spinach Dip

Tricks
When I was in grade school we got these National Geography-like "magazines" which were usually around 4 pages long. There was always a small section of "fun facts" like how fast a sneeze travels or how much blood our hearts pump. One of the facts that stuck with me was that "Apples, Onions, and Potatoes all taste the same. It is the smell that makes them taste different to us!"

OH REALLY? I have yet to test this theory (plus, I'm sure the textures would give them away) but this gave me a little idea called "Trick or Treat Apples"

Ingredients
*1 bag of apples
*1 big bag of caramels
*1 bag of potatoes
*1 bag of onions
*Something for sticks (popscicle sticks or twigs, etc.)
*Chocolate, sprinkles, nuts, etc. (optional)

Directions
1) Wash all your produce and peel the onions
POINT! You may want to trim your onions and potatoes into a rounder, more apple-y shape to be more convincing! Though if you use a lot of toppings, the shapes will be disguised

2) Melt your caramels in a stovetop pot or in the microwave. While they are melting, put your sticks into your apples and potatoes and onions

3) Coat all your produce with a nice layer of caramel, covering all the way up to the very top! Set down on some wax paper to cool and harden. You can repeat with a second layer of caramel if you wish

4) Time for toppings! Roll in nuts while the caramel is still warm, or drizzle chocolate and sprinkles on top! Crushed cookies also make for a great topping. Actually, it makes it incredibly sweet, but some people like it like that ;)

5) Mix up all your caramel "apples" so it is impossible to tell which is an apple, onion, or potato. TIME TO SERVE YOUR PARTY GUESTS!!!!

**Please Note** As with everything you find on the internet, trying this is at your own risk. You may or may not lose some friends over it ;D (but then those are lousy friends anyway). I do not suggest trying this on your neighborhood children. Their parents may be upset.

Originally I wanted to propose this idea to my manager at the cram school I teach at (I was drunk and on Facebook at the time) in order to teach the children the REAL MEANING of "trick or treat" but luckily I didn't ;D

In all seriousness, if you do try this, LET ME KNOW HOW IT WORKS!!! Do they really taste similar??