Sunday, May 17, 2020

Eternal Rest for Natto Baby

Unfortunately Natto passed away on May 15, 2020

He had been unwell for three days, lethargic and struggling to find a comfortable position to rest/breathe in.

Then on the afternoon of the 15th, he suddenly got up and seemed completely normal for several hours.
When he was struggling to find comfort

He tried to eat a bit and hopped up onto the bed with me (I had been working) to snuggle and get scritches
Natto loves face/chin scritches

He bopped me with his head and nose as usual.  His dry nose was wet again and he kept snuggling up and pressing his face against mine.
He bop


He flopped for belly rubs. He loves belly rubs.  He's a dog cat, really
Belly scritches!


He also booped me with his snoot.  Sometimes when I reach out to boop him with my finger he'll stick his nose into my finger first.  He also boops me on the nose with his nose.  I don't remember which of us started doing that first, but it's a thing we do :P
Mutual snoot boop

i stopped working and put on some YouTube to play in the background while we snuggled.

Then we got up when Andy came over (I'd asked him to pick up broth for Natto as he had refused food for three days) and fed Natto some broth.  He walked around as usual, looked out side at the world, and watched Andy and I set up the 3-season porch to be a work area for me.

Later, I was streaming Luigi's Mansion 3 on Twitch when he cried out.  Unfortunately he did not make it through the night, we were unable to find a vet to come euthanize him, and he passed away.  It was rather horrible, really.  He'd lost use of his hind legs and later lost control of his lower body entirely and then his body seemed to seize up on him slowly until he died.

The worst part is, this is likely because he was out of his heart medication so his heart, which is weak, was not pumping blood to his body effectively which caused it to shut down from the extremities upward.   And he was out of his heart medication because the vet had not responded to the refill orders I'd placed.  I'd called the refill line when he ran out, though got no response.  So I looked online and filled out a refill form.  The pharmacy replied to let me know they had put the refill order in the day I called, but the doctor had not responded.  Without his heart medication for two weeks, Natto's heart couldn't pump enough blood to keep him alive.

So that's a bit of a rant.  I've been crying for four days now and am exhausted.  Andy took me to drop Natto off at a crematorium.  The gentlemen there were very kind, grandfatherly folk.

I wish he could have survived until my birthday, but I hope he no longer suffers his breathing problems (congestive heart failure causes fluid to build up in the body cavity and compress the lungs because the body increases blood volume to make up for lack of pumping and it causes excess fluid to leak)

Some posts I had in the works will again, be delayed, sorry.  They may not even be timely by the time I post them but ah well.

Thank you for reading, commenting, and sticking with me throughout this time.  Keeping myself distracted is a part of what keeps me going.

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!