Monday, May 25, 2020

Fluffy Odango Hairstyle Without Teasing

Voluminous hairstyles are often achieved through copious amounts of teasing (backcombing), but it can damage fine or already-damaged hair even further!  It also requires careful brushing at the end of the day to untangle the teasing without tearing or breaking your hair.


This hairstyle can be done as a single fluffy bun, double odango (buns), or even half-up fluffy buns!  Though if your hair is long like mine, you may need to make two segments in the twintails when you do a half-up.  I will make a note in the instructions for this!

I found this to be quite easy, though I do suggest you use a mirror.  Because I was taking photos in the 3-season porch, I had no mirror ^^; That is why my hair ends up a bit messy, but I hope you can understand the main idea!

Tools:
  • hair ties
  • bobby pins
  • corkscrew pins (optional, but VERY helpful!)
  • hair decorations (ribbons, clips, pearls, scrunchies, etc.)

Directions:

Start by putting your hair up in twintails where you want the buns to be.  You can also do this as one large bun, or one or two half-up buns.

Tie another hair tie at the end of one ponytail.  If you have layers, try to tie it at the end of the shortest layer so you don't get frizzies.

If you have very long hair or are doing this as a half-up, you may need to tie two extra hair ties instead of one; tie the first halfway down the tail, and then the second towards the end.


Form a hole in the middle of the hair between the two hair ties and flip the ponytail end through two times.
Flipping


Once you have the ponytail flipped, grab small bunches of hair at the outside edges and gently pull to loosen the twisted hair, making it full and fluffy.  This is what gives you the volume! 


Now that you've got your desired fluffiness, form a bun as usual by wrapping the tail around the base elastic.  Make sure to tuck the tail in at the end so the straight parts don't show!


Secure your bun either with a corkscrew shape pin, or with several bobby pins.  The corkscrew shape is really easy to use and secure!  It also allows me to use more bobby pins for the fine-tuning later as they won't be fighting for space with all the other bobby pins I'd have to use just to secure the bun if I didn't have the corkscrew one!


Almost done!  Sorry this photo is difficult to see detail, but dark hair is difficult to photograph and I don't have a hair light >_<;;

Pull and arrange the fluffy bits of your bun to a shape you like and secure it with bobby pins.  I used brightly-colored hair ties to make them easy to see, so I had to make sure to cover them up with my hair fluff.  Of course it is better to use hair ties that are clear or match your hair color!


If you do not use a mirror, you may end up looking a bit wonky like this:

Decorate with whatever you like!  I tend to use lacy scrunchies as they help cover up any tails or elastic I failed to hide, are quick and easy and secure, and I feel like they help hold the buns in place as well.

This is a nice hairstyle for warmer months if you want to keep your hair off your neck.  I find that this is both faster and fluffier than doing a braided bun as the braiding takes more time, and even with fluffing, the braid is flatter that this flipped version.

Experiment with pearls or gems on pins, ribbons woven in, clips, hair combs, etc.  Remember that you can also add cute clips or colored hair pins to the back of your head!  Or perhaps a light veil or trailing crystals?  Use your creativity!

Please let me know if this was helpful at all!  I originally had filmed it as a video but the footage was unclear and I couldn't edit it to make it better so I redid it as a photo tutorial instead.  Thank you for reading and commenting as always! Let me know if you have any fun ideas for how to decorate odango looks :3

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!