Tuesday, December 22, 2020

Soda Can Upcycle

How many of you purchase things 100% for the packaging?  I definitely fall for packaging a lot, and back in 2016-2017 or so, a Taiwanese soda water brand, Ocean Bomb, collaborated with Pokemon to create limited-edition cans.  I don't drink soda water, but I sure do like Pokemon!

I've been moving the cans around with me from place to place, and finally, one of the cans accumulated enough air inside to misshapen and explode. Given that I cannot get these cans any more, I wanted to save it!
Explosion!

If you are doing this with a can of beverage you actually like, drink it first and then wash it out.

The back even has Pikachu small tail!

"Fun" Fact! The explosion made my ears ring for a while!  

To be serious, please do be careful with compressed air... it can be dangerous!


First step is to flatten the top as much as possible if you have an explosion can.  If you consumed the contents like a normal person, you can skip this step because your can is probably fine.

Hammered as flat as I can manage

Our secret hero is the humble can opener!  As the name implies, it opens cans!

Clamp the can opener around the top and twist the handle to remove the top.  **Note of danger** The removed can lid is SHARP!   Please dispose of it carefully!
Surprisingly, the INSIDE of the inner rim was not sharp at all.

There are some visible teeth marks around the rim of my can from the can opener because mine was misshapen, but if you are working with a properly-shaped can, it should be a pretty clean removal.



Because soda cans are very lightweight, I put a layer of glass marbles (available at aquarium, craft, or plant shops) at the base to weigh it down, and now I have an adorable Pikachu pen and pencil holder for my desk!



Of course, this is also something you can do with any sort of soda can you have lying around if you would rather not purchase pencil holders, planters, or some other container, so it's a great budget-friendly and eco-friendly solution!

I hope you enjoyed this quick and easy craft for today.

What is the most useless thing you have ever purchased for the packaging?  There is no way I am the only one, right? I mean, I have around eight other cans of soda water (that I will never drink) in various designs...



No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!