Monday, February 20, 2023

Kavalan Whisky Distillery - Mixing My Own Whisky!

 Yesterday my friend PikaWu landed in Taiwan and we spent the day together!

After some late breakfast and a failed attempt to pie me in the face (we couldn't find whipped cream, strangely enough...) which was a sub reward from my Twitch stream, we took a bus over to Yilan to visit the Kavalan Whisky Distillery where we'd booked a whisky mixing experience!


We took a bus from Taipei Main Station to Yilan Transfer Terminal and then another bus to the distillery. It was huge!  They have so many buildings!  The mixing took place in a building called the Spirit Castle where Kavalan and Mr. Brown Coffee are located.  Yes, the whisky bar is across from a Mr. Brown Coffee Cafe.  Eat some food before you start drinking!

The setup, as you can see in the photo, was simple.  We were given four whisky samples and a measuring cylinder.  We then measured out ratios of whisky to balance out the flavors to our liking.  Each sample totals 6ml.  PikaWu is a much more experienced whisky drinker than I am, and he had much more to say about the nose and flavor of each mix we had.  We sampled each other's mixes as well to get a wider variety of flavor experiences in~


After deciding on which mix is the favorite, we go to the front and mix a 300ml bottle of our custom whisky!



The whole thing was a fun experience!  It cost NT$1,800 per person, so make sure you drink all your whisky samples too XD

My mix ended up containing a little bit of all four samples.  Originally I hadn't thought I'd add any of the peaty flavor one because on its own, it had hit me as too strong, but the little bit I added to the mix really balanced out!


The day was rather cold and rainy!  But the friendship kept us warm UwU
JK JK I was still cold!!!

Overall, it was a delightful trip that I would never have taken if PikaWu hadn't suggested it, so I'm really grateful!  We did end up needing to take a taxi back to the bus station because we stayed until closing and there were no more buses.  Waiting 20 minutes in the cold and small rain was... chilly.  The ride back was a good time to nap!

What's your favorite type of drink?  If you don't drink alcohol, what's your favorite "relaxing" beverage?

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!