Monday, July 31, 2023

Comic + Games Expo

 Yesterday I went to a dual-exhibition with my friend Doro!  The comic exhibition was combine with the gamers exhibition, meaning it was extremely PACKED at the world trade center!

Doro and I decided on a red Alice theme for our outfits, so here I am in my BABY x Disney Alice in Wonderland JSK~

Isn't the mascot cute?

I asked Doro about this exhibit rather last minute. I found out about it on its first day opening, Thursday, and we went on Sunday.  I was going solely for the chance to buy Cardcaptor Sakura goods!

As expected, there were MASSIVE queues for the booths we wanted to see (they were sorted by publisher) so we wandered around a bit first.

At the Sanrio booth I took some snaps of these Vtuber collab cutouts!
Kuromi and My Melody

Pom Pom Purin

I received three mini circle mirrors of these characters for posting them to my instagram with the proper hashtag.  I think I will put them into my ita bag!

We passed by a merch shop with LOADS of Pokemon goods!  I very nearly bought a pastel Eevee pillow, but spotted some Monster Hunter goods and got the Palico pillow instead.  It was too crowded to take more photos of the other Pokemon goods there!


I really cannot justify buying more plushies because I just moved 4 boxes of Pokemon plushies to my new place... and have nowhere to display them!  I will likely place them on my bed or get a low bookshelf to place next to me bed for them!

The palico pillow (top row) will go on my couch.  The current couch is a very pale gray so I think an accent pillow will look nice!  It was NT$399 which I thought was decent for its size and quality.

On the gaming side, there were truly impressive booths set up for console and mobile games!

To be honest, I recognized very few of the game setups as I don't play mobile games.  The console games I mostly recognized, though!
I don't know what this is but it's impressive.

Most of the game booths also had stages where they would host shows or events for the visitors.

A small Splatoon 3 setup

There were very many cosplayers, both fans and official cosplayers for the events.
Some of my friends have recently been obsessed with Maple Story!

\
I have heard of this one... Not sure what it's about.

Zero idea what this is, but it looks cozy :3

Most of the booths were selling some merch for games and comics, but I did find one that was selling weapon replicas!
Look at the variety!

I know this one!  Honkai Star Rail!

Doro and I waited until the crowds started dying down.  Then she went for a signing by a Japanese artist while I joined the MUCH shorter queue for buying my Cardcaptor Sakura stuff!  
I had my eye on a Clear Card magic circle rug for my room, and ended up grabbing two tumblers as well because they were buy-one-get-one-free!  I'd previously seen them at a Cardcaptor Sakura exhibition merch shop, but couldn't justify the NT$1200 price per cup.  For two though?  I was sold!

Palico pillow, Sanrio freebies, Clear Card rug, and two insulated tumblers

Closeup of the tumblers pictures!

We stayed until the exhibition closed and I helped Doro take photos with the pictures of mangas she liked.  I snapped a pic of a cute character I saw and asked my discord who it was:

Do you know this character?

After I was told this character is from a decent "idol" anime series Oshi no Ko, I watched the first episode.  No spoilers, but it was NOT going how I expected it to go O_Q  All the same, I think I will watch another episode tonight.  The premise is interesting and I want to see how the story develops!  

It touched on parasocial relationships in the first episode, and I was told it also talks about internet culture and such. I think it will be interesting!  It is true that the internet has made idols more accessible, and made it easier to become an idol of sorts.  That said, it blurs the lines between fan and friend because these idols ARE more accessible, hence parasocial relationships.  Let's see how the show develops!


Have you watched any new shows recently?  It was just chance I thought this acrylic stand was cute and now I have a new show to watch!  I'm also really happy with the purchases I got at the exhibit.

Thank you for reading, and I wish you all a good time!