Monday, November 27, 2023

Wulai Trip with a Friend

 Over the weekend I took a half-day trip with my friend Tex who is visiting from the US!  He's much more into traveling around and knowing the history of Taiwan than I am, so I'm glad I got to go on an adventure with him~

We took a bus up to Wulai (I got motion sickness and a lady on the bus taught Tex how to press on the bit between the thumb and forefinger to help reduce it. My mom used to do that for me!) and went to a hot spring hotel to just soak in the tub!

Outfit of the day!

Luckily there was no wait time when we went!  We went to Pause Landis which was a decent place in my opinion!  There is a hot and a cold bath.  We alternated between the hot and cold baths to keep ourselves from getting lightheaded or overheating. It felt very nice!

The weather had been a bit rainy, but let up shortly after we arrived, so that was nice!


It also meant that we had a nicer time wandering the old street of Wulai.

I tried a serving of fried century egg.  It was my first time having the eggs this way, and it was really good!


There are also many many vendors selling grilled mochi.  I've had grilled mochi at Ximending before, but the mochi in Wulai is made with millet, so it's different!  Tex got a black sugar one and I got black sesame.  They were both very good!

NT$40/serving or 3 for NT$110

Tex also got a serving of stone-cooked mountain boar.  Instead of cooking on metal plates, it's cooked on stone!  Since I don't eat pork, I did not try any, but it looks delicious~

After we headed back to the city, we had some time before Tex was meeting an internet friend, so we went to a Mr. Brown cafe so I could try the Kavalan whisky ice cream.  I'd seen Tex post it on his instagram and instantly wanted to try as I love both ice cream and coffee~


Tex also got a beer.  I'm not very knowledgeable about beer, so all I can say is that it tasted like beer (:

The ice cream was very rich and creamy, and the whisky and coffee are fragrant and compliment it splendidly!

The branch we went to had a very large space with nice seating.  We sat next to a pillar which was decorated with fake foliage and made for a nice background!


The ice cream is two large scoops, so it was perfect for sharing.  There is not enough alcohol to get drunk (1.5% ABV) but has a nice flavor overall.  Very enjoyable!

It was a lovely half day adventure.  Also this is how I dress on a casual day ^u^v  I figured we'd be doing some walking, needing to change into swimsuit for onsen, plus it was a bit chilly, so I threw together one of my go-to casual looks!  The hat really came in handy for light drizzling too.

Thank you for reading and I hope you had a great weekend!

What is your favorite ice cream topping? I actually mostly like mix-ins like cookie dough or brownie bites, but am pretty much open to any ice cream!  Alcohol plus ice cream is turning out to be a delightful mix as well~

No comments:

Post a Comment

please share your thoughts!