Saturday, June 5, 2010

International Lolita Day 2010!

I am sure everybody is well aware already, but June 5, 2010 is International Lolita Day! I suppose this means that I should say, "Happy LoliDay!" since it is 1AM already!

What are you doing to celebrate LoliDay? Personally, I have to work, and there is no meetup happening here in MN. But that does not mean I cannot celebrate it by myself! Even though I will be unable to wear lolita for most of the day, I am very happy to simply celebrate it in my mind.

New to LoliDay? Wondering what it is all about? Please let me give you some quick insight to what this wonderful pseudo-holiday is all about!

The inspirational post that sparked the idea was made by one kittyhot on the international livejournal egl community, which led to it becoming officially announced in 2005.

International Lolita Day occurs TWICE a year. It is the first Saturday of June, and the first Saturday of December. The purpose of having it occur two times a year was so that lolitas could show off both summer and winter wardrobes.

Oftentimes lolitas will host meetups in order to celebrate. For the past few years I have been busy on LoliDay, though last year for June LoliDay I did get together with one other lolita for some tea at a local teahouse. It was small, personal, and a lot of fun!

What are some other ideas for celebrating by yourself? Let's brainstorm!

Dressing Up OK, so this one sounds obvious, but dressing up in your very best lolita outfit complete with hair, makeup, accessories, etc. is a good way to get in the mood! And this was the whole reason LoliDay even started - to have a day for dressing up with no meetup, tea party, event, or any other reason than "because I like it"

Taking Time for Yourself If you are unable to dress up (like me this year) due to other obligations or lack of clothing, you can still get in the lolita spirit! Take a little extra time to indulge in small things. Wake up to sunlight streaming through the window. Get dressed slowly and brush your hair until it shines. Wash your face and let the warm towel sit on your eyes for a few minutes. Treat yourself to a cup of hot cocoa or a truffle! Add rose petals to your bath water. Burn some candles or incense to fill the air with wonderful fragrances! Creating a relaxing atmosphere can make many problems seem to melt away.

Go On An Adventure Arm yourself with a camera and take a walk! Are there bike trails you have yet to explore? Fields of flowers nearby you never stopped to smell? Or perhaps you would prefer to explore kitschy shops that carry a mind-boggling assortment of cute trinkets and antique-looking furniture. Stopping to notice the magic around you brings a breath of fresh air into your daily routine. Maybe you will discover some treasure trove of beauty you never realized was there?

Write Snail Mail The lost art of handwritten letters! Break out the cute stationery, fancy pens (or gel pens!), stickers, and perhaps some small trinket to send to a friend? I like to include Valentines in all the letters I send. Of course it is nowhere near Valentine's Day, but it is something sweet to brighten a friend's day! I bought a pack of sticker-puzzle Valentines for 25 cents and have been mailing them out with letters I write to people I have not seen in a long time. Snail mail has a sort of personal touch that is lost through the internet. Even though e-mail and social networking sites are convenient and quick, snail mail will always feel more genuine and thoughtful



In other news, I am trying to edit the blog template since I have been alerted to the fact that the comments no longer work. Please bear with me while I try to fix everything!

1 comment:

please share your thoughts!