Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Lantern Festival! Plus some fangirl ramblings

Today is the last day of Lunar New Year, also know as the Lantern Festival (not to be confused with the Mid-Autumn Festival in August which is sometimes called Lantern Festival in other countries). In Chinese, it is written as 元宵節.

Traditionally, today is a day for lighting lanterns and firecrackers and eating glutinous rice dumplings(湯圓), a sweet dessert. My favorite type has black sesame filling!


Last year I posted a recipe for making glutinous rice dumplings at home, but I did not have many followers back then, so here is a link to my Tang Yuan Recipe on this blog. My photography skills were quite lacking, too...

The ingredients list is here:
OUTER
1.5 16-oz. bags of glutinous rice flour
water
food coloring (optional)

INNER
4 pk. Instant Black Sesame Dessert
2 TBS Vegetable Shortening

If you try making this at home, post photos in the comments and let me know how they turned out! I am going to go watch The Green Hornet with my mom today and eat 湯圓 at night.

And this is totally off-topic, but have you watched The Green Hornet? Chinese celebrity Jay Chou stars in the movie as the awesome sidekick! I am a big fan of his music, though his acting in Chinese movies has been quite... not so great... but he is popular and does what he likes, which I think is good!

He acted and directed in a superhero series called Pandamen (the outfit is cute!!) but it was not successful. Now he hosts a variety TV show, but honestly, his best skill is writing, composing, and singing. His songs are always positive despite his "cool bad boy" outer appearance.

One last fun fact: on the news Jay Chou was interviewed about his role in The Green Hornet where he apparently learned and delivered all his lines phonetically. He did not actually bother to learn English at all ^^; That is the type of guy he is - doing what he wants and just rolling with it!

To conclude this random post, here's a daily snap:
Photobucket

I will be showing you how to make the rose hair corsage I am wearing :) It is a hand-sewn project, so those of you without sewing machines can make one, too!