Sunday, February 25, 2024

Turkish Coffee and Fortune Telling

Does anybody remember the egl community on livejournal?  That's how I was first introduced to Lolita fashion, and one of the friends I met on there back in the 2000s, aonele, along with her friend Stephanie, came to visit Taiwan!  We met up at a Turkish restaurant which was super cute!!

KC, JSK: handmade by me
Underskirt: Forest Song
Socks: Little Rose Planet

The interior decoration is so unique and cool!

A setup example of how Turkish coffee is made (without the sand part)




Having never had Turkish coffee before, we all ordered coffee!  I also ordered a meal and aonele and Stephanie ordered a dessert sampler and Turkish delights.

The dish I ordered is called a borek!  NT$300 and comes with a tea which can be swapped to another drink at a discount of NT$80 (the coffee I ordered normally costs NT$170)

Cheese borek (flaky roll) with salad, hummus, and yogurt dip

The borek was SO flaky!  When I cut it, little flakes of pastry went flying 😹 It was so fragrant and delicious dipped in the sauce!  The salad was pretty whatever 🥗 not that great.  Borek stole the show 😻

Single origin Turkish coffee
Came with a Turkish delight, almond, and walnut

The coffee is ground into a fine powder like flour, far finer than regular coffee grinds we see used.  Then it is poured into little pots with hot water on this bed of sand, which heats it to boiling:


It is not filtered at all, so it needs to sit for 2-3 minutes before drinking.  Surprisingly, there are no grounds at all when drinking!  It all settles to the bottom and as long as you don't stir or shake the coffee, it doesn't float back up.

The café also offers Turkish coffee reading, but it cost $1200/30 minutes 🙀 so... the three of us decided to mess around and read each other's coffee instead 😹

I did a quick Google for Turkish coffee reading and away we went!  The coin on my cup is because I was inquiring about money 💰
Tip, swirl, and wait 5-10 minutes

Then we all swapped cups and read for each other!
My results

It was just for amusement, but we all got pretty positive readings 😸

We took a few photos around the rest of the restaurant before Aonele and Stephanie had to catch the High Speed Rail to their next destination.
Violet and I by a carousel horse

Entrance area to the restaurant

It was a great experience!  I hadn't seen the two of them since 2015 when they last came to Taiwan, so it was nice to catch up.  

Do you believe in fortune telling or get your fortune told?  Tea reading, tarot reading, palm reading, etc. there are loads of ways to peer into the future!  I don't believe in "seeing the future" but see fortune telling as a way of looking at a situation with a fresh point of view, maybe to consider other possibilities if faced with a problem.

Saturday was also the last day of Chinese New Year, Lantern Festival!  I didn't go to any lantern festival displays this year, but I had my tangyuan (glutinous rice dumplings) at night!

Happy Lantern Festival!