Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Aurora's Chambers~ Dividing Space

I've recently had bouts of insomnia and extreme energy surges and rather than doing homework or something productive, I've taken to cleaning and organizing my living space!!

My main focus is to be cheap because I don't have much money to spend and I don't want to end up with a lot of storage units that I'd have to move if/when I move out of this space.

Today, I'd like to share some of the things I've done recently. I apologize in advance for the sporatic photos. I made these after taking my nighttime medication, which causes side effects such impairment of motor skills and slight short-term memory loss.

This post is going to be on dividers that I made from scraps of thick board; the same as I used in this earring frame.

Materials:
Thick board, foam board, tag board, or cardboard
Cutter
Ruler

Directions:
1) Measure and Cut
Measure out how long and wide your divider pieces need to be and cut them to size. The decide where you want the dividers to intersect and cut a slit halfway into the depth of the divider. You will do this to both intersecting pieces so they will interlock.
This is how the cut pieces should look:
 photo 2013-05-27231552_zps396c2b08.jpg
This is how they interlock:
 photo 2013-05-27231639_zps6fc556f8.jpg

2) Repeat
Make as many dividers as you need. I don't really remember what I was doing at this point, and probably just didn't measure properly so my spaces are rather wonky:
 photo 2013-05-27232825_zps8f974b53.jpg

That's it!!
If you don't want to bother with the cutting and you have enough items to fill a drawer, you can actually just place the cardboard dividers between sections like this:
 photo 2013-05-29024219edit_zpsfae3302a.jpg
I fold my shirts this way so I can easily see what each shirt is. The green lines represent where I have placed dividers. The "files" of shirts actually do not fall over if you remove a few shirts, so it's quite handy! After rearranging my closet like so, I realized that I have a disproportionately large number of black tank tops and camisoles... Good reason to go shopping for summer, right?

In my previous closet post I had been keeping my clothes under the bed and sewing supplies in the closet for some reason. Not very handy. Since spring has arrived, I've done a complete overhaul and used the shoe boxes I was previously using as dividers to store my winter clothing in out-of-the-way cabinets and begun using these scrap board dividers instead. I now also have more room to hang up my clothes!

 photo 2013-05-29024225_zpscdbf7a49.jpg
As you can see, my dresses and tights are hung up. The four mushrooms are pens... don't ask why they are in the closet!! I have no desk space due to my sewing machine, serger, and laptop taking up the entire table and my printer taking up the end table! Hopefully I'll be able to figure out a more effective method of organizing my desk supplies soon.

The other side of my closet has stayed pretty much the same with the exception of moving my bras and underwear (the two boxes) from under the bed to the closet. I'm also hanging up my non-Lolita skirts in the top portion with my blouses.
 photo 2013-05-29024241_zpsa7bddd94.jpg

The space under my bed is now home to my sewing and crafting supplies!!! There is a small section of winter clothing that didn't fit into the cabinet, but I put them in the very back so they would not get in the way.
 photo 2013-05-29024259_zps8bfd2b46.jpg

As you can see, the items I will use most often are now arranged in front and the items I will not need as much are put in the back. This system has been working out fairly well for me.

Now, I just need to finish coming up with ways to arrange my shoes, accessories, and miscellaneous junk such as files and folders and textbooks!

Thanks for reading! And if you have any tips or stories about your own organization methods, please share in the comments below!